Fox News is facing new legal accusations from its employees. Andrea Tantaros, a former co-anchor of the company’s “The Five” program, filed a 37-page lawsuit against Fox and its recently retired founder, Roger Ailes. Tantaros filed the document in the New York State Supreme Court on Monday.
According to Fox’s ex-employee, there was retaliation from the network’s top brass when Mrs. Tantaros complained about being sexually harassed by Mr. Ailes to Bill Shine, the current Chairman of the network.
She said she was soon removed from “The Five” and has not appeared on the channel since April. This lawsuit would be the second instance in less than seven weeks where a Fox News host takes legal action against former bosses.
FOX’s Roger Ailes has a history of sexual harassment accusations
At the beginning of July, longtime Fox News host, Gretchen Carlson, sued the network’s founder Roger Ailes for wrongful termination and sexual harassment.
The accusation led to a full investigation, resulting in Mr. Ailes’s resignation, and encouraging 20 more women to share similar stories involving the Chairman, with Andrea Tantaro’s claim now adding to the list.
The conflict originated last year when the network claimed Mrs. Tantaros breached her contract by writing and promoting a book without Fox’s approval.
All hosts and anchors have to sign a contract which forces them to ask for permission before revealing “private” information. However, Andrea Tantaros alleged in the lawsuit she was enduring punishment for complaining about sexual harassments.
She also said some executives urged her not to wear pants on air because Roger Ailes wanted to see her legs. The filed document describes numerous occasions where the former Chairman allegedly called Mrs. Tantaros to his office and made inappropriate remarks.
The filed document describes numerous occasions where the former Chairman allegedly called Mrs. Tantaros to his office and made inappropriate remarks. In one instance he even asked her to turn around so Mr. Ailes could have “a better look” of the anchor.
— Justin Green (@JGreenDC) August 23, 2016
Andrea Tantaros mentioned Bill O’ Reilly in the lawsuit
The lawsuit also mentions Bill O’Reilly, the famous Fox News Star, and Andrea Tantaros’ colleague. She claims Mr. O’Reilly started to invite her to Long Island last fall, where it would be “very private.”
Fox News’s Chief Attorney said Mrs. Tantaro was using these claims to gain leverage over the contract dispute. On the other hand, Judd Burstein, the host’s lawyer, stated during arbitration the network offered a “seven-figure sum” if the demanded dropped allegations against Mr. Ailes and Bill O’Reilly.
Andrea Tantaros refused the offer, and instead, is seeking over $30 million in damages. Fox News have not officially commented on the lawsuit.
Source: Washington Post